Blog :: 01-2014
WELLESLEY - Exquisite New Colonial with everything on your wish list set in a fantastic neighborhood. This bright and open designed home is tastefully finished and finely appointed with crown molding, wainscoting, coffered ceiling, and many custom built-ins. The heart of the home centers around the fabulous white Chef's kitchen with granite and Viking appliances and a large center island with honed marble. The wet bar with an espresso finish is perfect for entertaining. The kitchen opens to the sun filled family room with a fireplace, built-ins, and a French door that leads to a lovely bluestone patio and unusually spacious backyard. Five en suite second floor bedrooms including an elegant master bedroom with a tray ceiling, marble bathroom, and walk-in closet. The expansive finished lower level with full bathroom offers a flexible floor plan. A short distance to schools and Perrin Park makes this home the perfect package! EXCLUSIVE $1,665,000 http://www.rutledgeproperties.com/listing/71625239/6-colby-road-wellesley-ma-02482/
Experts across the country agree that there was a recovery in the real estate market in 2013 and that is certainly what Wellesley experienced. Our October 2013 results were the highest since 2006, a remarkable feat given that the economic uncertainty due to the government shutdown almost eliminated any market activity for half the month. Overall, 2013 was characterized by brisk sales, bidding wars and eager buyers.
What will 2014 bring? The quiet that we typically experience in the winter months will probably not occur in winter 2014. The 2014 'spring' market has had an early start with tight inventory looking like it will again be the main story of the year. Determined buyers who have not succeeded because of the low inventory in the summer and fall seasons are actively touring each new property that comes on the market. Mortgage rates, although higher than they were six months ago, may be lower than they will be this spring.
Both Redfin and Zillow predict that home prices will rise anywhere from 3% - 5% in 2014. If this occurs, it is likely that more homes will be put on the market. The tight inventory that dictated so much of the 2013 real estate activity will hopefully return to more traditional levels.
Mortgage rates are also expected to rise in 2014, maybe even as high as 5%. If this happens, it will likely spur home owners who have been on the fence about selling their home to enter it in the market. Higher mortgage rates will slow refinancing which will ultimately make getting a loan much easier for buyers, especially new buyers. Even if rates rise to 5% though, experts are quick to assert that's still a low mortgage rate. "Prior to the Federal Reserve's 2008 decision to buy $85 billion in debt per month, the 36-year average was 9.2%, and never below 5.8%" points out Glen Kelman, CEO of Redfin.
The other predictions for 2014 include: fewer homeowners will be underwater, affordability will decline, ownership will decline, Americans will move, foreclosures will fade and the home buying process will be less crazed.
As a proud sponsor of the Wellesley Free Library, we at Rutledge Properties look forward to seeing you next Thursday, January 23rd at Wellesley Country Club for the Wellesley Free Library Foundation Gala.
- Valet Parking will be available at WCC
- 5:30pm - Check in and Registration begins
- 6:15pm - Doors close for Madeleine Albright's Moderated Dialogue. Note: Guests arriving between 6:15-7:00 will be provided appetizers and cocktails in the Kingsbury Room.
- 7:00pm - Dinner seating commences Please note the Gala is currently sold out. We are working with WCC to accommodate as many of our guests on the wait list as possible. Kindly let us know if you are unable to attend so we might include waitlist individuals. Other questions? Please email email@example.com
Live Auction Sneak Peek!
1. GREEN WITH ENVY. Two Courtside Seats for Celtics vs. Hawks (Feb 26th). A team autographed basketball also included. 2. BUDDING BROADCASTER. We have VIP Tours of BOTH CBS NYC Studio and WBZ in Boston. 3. PUT YOUR PARTY ON ICE. Got a hockey fan? What could be better than a chance to high-five the Bruins team as they leave the locker room? Package includes 4 Loge Seats, a chance for 2 to high-five players AND a team autographed stick. 4. DINNER AT BLUE GINGER WITH NICK BURNS. Go Global with a Chef Tasting for 8 at Blue Ginger with former Ambassador (and WHS Alum!) Nick Burns. 5. NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM HAS NOTHING ON THIS. It's Party Game Night at the library! Grab up to 25 friends (age 7+) for this one-of-a kind, customized after-hours party at the WFL. 6. CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES! Trophies, Rings and Tickets - This package includes the chance to have the 2013 World Series Trophy IN YOUR HOME and 2 EMC tickets for Opening Day where you will watch the team receive their rings!
By Marcie Pucker of Rutledge Properties
Many of you business-minded people know that in today's business environment, a dominant theme is "Right-Sizing" your business: Growing it enough, but not too much, and restructuring it in a way that makes the most economic sense. Words like "streamlined," "efficient," "productive" and "relevant" come to mind, as do "current," "technologically modernized" and "forward-thinking."
In my real estate world, "Right-Sizing" has arrived too! As we seem to be in a swell of recent empty nesters, I've noticed that with personal family demographics changing, many of my friends and clients want...well....something different.
The needs of empty nesters
Fortunately, with many of you lucky enough to be able to sustain your lifestyles as you say goodbye to kids leaving the nest, there is no urgency to downsize. And, the notion of squeezing into smaller and less luxurious spaces or moving to neighborhoods with mostly younger families doesn't really appeal.
Seeking different space
Nonetheless, your current home just doesn't feel right anymore. Perhaps there are too many spare bedrooms that never get used. You wish you could just move the square footage from the empty bedrooms to the downstairs to make your first floor more useful.
Seeking a new look
Maybe, if you're like me, your sense of style has done a total 360 and the traditional architecture that you once loved feels like your yesterday and you crave a newer, sleeker look to suit a more sophisticated, care-free lifestyle today.
What do you need?
You are in need of Right-Sizing and you are not alone! Right Sizing your Real Estate means changing your living space into space you use well.
Nuts and bolts of Right-Sizing
It is a time when you can streamline belongings, get rid of clutter, upgrade your home technology, and get all the right space into just the right places that you want for now and well into the future without compromise.
Sometimes this can be done exactly where you are with a clever architect and good eye. But sometimes, the direction in which you are heading is much different. No right answer here, just a personal choice.
Where to turn
Whether you want suburb, country or city, modern, efficient, or opulent, jump in and call me to help you "Right-Size" your real estate. My 20-year knowledge of our marketplace and eye for design can help you determine what move best meets your new goals while safeguarding your financial interests.